Wednesday, August 20, 2014

How to raise the "barre"!

Doing what any typical 20somethingyearold would do, I decided to try out the latest exercise trend! While, crossfit and hot yoga are forms of trendy exercise that make you sweat in crevices you never even knew existed, I decided to go out and try a barre class. Now, being a 20somethingyearold, I figured that because I did ballet when I was younger then obviously this class would be a piece of cake and I'd leave feeling fine...how (SORE)ly I was mistaken, literally (and I do mean literally) I am still sore.

I arrived early to the class and before I stepped inside there was a sign outside that said to "Please take off shoes before entering". Now, I personally will not take foot on an outdoor floor, unless I am going swimming or have shoes on. So being the genius that I am, I walk inside and just stand on the floor mat and announce my presence about being a first-time class taker. The very kind ladies there, just stared at me and told me that I could come closer and not just awkwardly stand on the mat. Having watched "Mean Girls" at a young age, I am very fluent in a language they use in the movie called "word vomit", which is exactly what happens to me, whenever I try new things, by myself. As I tried to explain that I didn't want to move because of the sign outside and get their pristine floor dirty, all that happened was a jumble of words coming out of my mouth and looks of confusion washed over the kind ladies face. Eventually they encouraged me to approach the desk and I soon was flooded with information about taking a "barre class". I was required to buy a pair of barre socks and was told that because it was my first class it would be free. So in total a $10.75 (price of the socks) class really wasn't bad at all. After bonding with the ladies about being Cuban and a grad student the class began. Unfortunately, for me the class was myself, an older lady of my mother's age, and the instructor. Fortunately for them, I unconsciously make weird mouse-like noises and faces whenever I try any strenuous activity (such as reaching for a box of cookies on the highest self in my cabinet). I could see the instructor try to hold in her laughter whenever she turned to check in on me. To start off, I was excited and ready to roll, I was ready to get going...within the first couple of minutes I found myself staring in the mirror and realizing that aligning my pelvis and sitting at a 90 degree angle appeared to be a task that I could not accomplish. Throughout the class the best way I can describe the speed of which my legs were shaking at is to compare them to the same speed an excited chihuahua shakes at. Any time the instructor would encourage us with words of "you're almost done" or "you can do it", I just wanted to turn back to her and yell "LIAR!". Throughout the class I was shaking, sweating, and weirded out that this 50 year old lady could complete this workout without so much as shedding a teardrop of sweat. Eventually, through the noises, weird faces, and my newfound shattered 20somethingyearold athletic ego, the class was over.

After the class ended I tried to smile through the pain and ignore the fact that my legs had the same strength as a well cooked noodle. Three days after the class and I a still in pain, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to go back and do it all over again. On the 20somethingyearold scale I would give it a "turn up" because there are so many positions where your legs will physically have to "turn up", but after the class you'll want to "turn down" so hardcore. In the end, I would highly recommend this to anyone and everyone because it really was a great and wonderful exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment