A couple of weeks ago, I decided to embrace the inevitable
and declare myself to my true identity: BASIC. I knew the only way to do so was
to jump the gun and immerse myself into full on “basicity”. I already have
devoted myself to a lifelong of Starbucks drinks as I flash my gold member card
with pride and “can’t even” on a daily basis, sometimes I even take the extra
mile as I “literally can’t even”. The next obvious step was to follow in the
steps of my Queen, T-Swift, and chop my hair off. As I sat in the hair salon and my Kate Spade
covered iPhone dinged with the consistency that can only be a result of group
messaging, I took a hard look in the mirror and it was almost as if the basic
clouds opened up and the angels came down and whispered “you’re now basic” into
my ears. The hairdresser put my hair in a ponytail and cut it free. She handed
me my hair and for the third time, I was able to donate my hair for those who
need it more than I do. I am not naïve though, I know majority of those I
encounter will look me up and down and assume that my hair is short for reasons
none other than “it’s trendy” and be linked to being “basic”. Truth be told, I
am okay with that. For the last 8 years I’ve donated my hair three times. I
don’t do it for the recognition, I don’t do it because I want others to say
kind words to me, I don’t do it for any other reason other than I want to. At a
fairly young age I learned that life is precious and that life, no matter how
young, can be lost. I wanted to make my mark on this world and help make a
difference, no matter how small or insignificant. If the small impact I can
make in this world can be to give those what I have plenty of, my hair, then
I’m okay with that. I love basic stuff, I love Taylor’s album 1989, I do love
Starbucks, and I love my short hair and I could care less what other’s think
about it. I am BASIC AND PROUD!
First Chop:
Dancing With My Abuelo on my Quinceñera Cruise
Second Chop:
Basic Insta Post, before Basic was "basic" - circa 2012
Third Chop:
Creating a mustache Ron Burgundy would be jealous of
XO - Christina



No comments:
Post a Comment