It has taken me quite some time to reflect upon Dance
Marathon at FSU. I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t thought deeply about what I
wanted to say about my final year being involved with Dance Marathon at FSU,
but I just could never bring myself to sit down and write about the 20 year old
miracle that had just happen. There are a number of reasons I hadn’t said
anything yet, but none of which are sad. I can say wholeheartedly there is not
one single regret or sad feeling I have towards Dance Marathon at FSU. As the
great Dr. Seuss once said, “Don’t be sad because it’s ending, be happy because
it happened.” For the last four years I have seen this organization grow from
being a GREAT event to being an EXTRAORDINARY event, none of which could have
occurred without our predecessors from the last 20 years. Do you think we would
be where we are today, if it wasn’t for the Dance Marathon team who moved the
event from Tully Gym to the Civic Center, or how about the team who switched
the event from 36 hours to two shifts of 20 hours, for a 40 hour weekend event,
or how about last year’s Dance Marathon team who decided it was more important
to focus on the celebrating the dancers efforts to fundraise for the kids,
rather than focusing on only money? Of course not! The 20th year
would not have been as successful without the help of the others from the last
20 years and I’d be lying if I said the 2015 Executive Team solely made this
dream come true. All of those involved over the last 20 years from dancers,
volunteers, captains, CORE team, the Executive Board members, the Management
team, and all past and current advisors helped make this dream a reality, a
dream that has been 20 years in the making. For me this was the happiest and
best weekend of my entire life, this will be the weekend I will look back upon
when I’m old and think only happy and great things, not only did I get to
celebrate the weekend with some of my best friends in the whole entire world,
but we raised over $1,100,000 for the kids, AND “The Ellen Show” noticed us,
something I have been personally working on for the last 3 years! What more could
I ask for? Nothing, and yet I still got more out of the event than ever before.
I got to stop and watch the event for a couple of minutes and take a breath and
really take in the moment. My favorite moment of all (other than Ellen sending
us a swag bag and raising over $1,100,000) was the final linedance moment, I
got to stand in the middle of the stage with my linedance partner Aryanna, look
out into the crowd, and see the beautiful Children’s Miracle Network Balloon
hanging over the dancers heads as they danced along with us for the final time.
It is a moment I will never forget, it’s a moment that passes by in slow motion
each and every time I think of it and it’s a moment that never ceases to bring
a smile on my face. It is an image that will be forever embedded into my heart.
As my time with Dance Marathon at FSU 2015 comes to an end, I would like to
leave some words to remember by for all those involved with DM (welcome to the
DM version of unsolicited advice):
To Dance Marathon
Team (this includes Management, Exec, CORE, Captains, Volunteers and Dancers):
Ahead of you is a difficult road, however if there is one
thing that Dance Marathon at FSU has taught me, it’s that no matter how
difficult the climb is, you FIGHT for those kids! I know the 20th
year raised $1.1 million dollars and it’s your job to keep that million dollar
mindset for the kids, but remember every single cent makes a difference and I
say that with the utmost truth! No matter what total you reveal at the end of
the year, no matter amount is raised, know that a dollar donated
to DM at FSU is a dollar that just made a miracle! Keep that in mind as you fundraise
for the kids, it’s important to fundraise as much as you can, but know that in
the end you are making a difference (I do, however, have the utmost faith that
this team will raise over $1.1 million dollars). Making a difference for the
kids is not an easy task, but one that I believe the new team will be able to
concur. Don’t forget to reach out to other Dance Marathons and show support to
each other (I can’t stress this point enough!). As an individual team we make a
difference, but when Dance Marathons across the country show support to each
other we make a miracle and when don’t just stand for the kids, together we
make MIRACLES for the kids!
To apply for Dance Marathon at FSU Executive and CORE team click the link below:
http://www.noles4kids.org/students
For The Kids (Every DM Day of my LIFE)
XO – Christina
No comments:
Post a Comment